Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Scribble

When I write, I see.

Who would have thought a dyslexic Sophie Rooney would be writing a blog, let alone be writing a feature film? I am sure it would surprise Mr Hill and Miss Thornett (my favourite English teachers at school) or even the pratt Mr Young (who would probably still chuckle)!
Oh, was I ever the rebel in class, I would talk the talk but I wouldn't work the work (?!), let's say my work was - different.

I am writing a feature based on a play, I'm not going to say which one or it will give it away. It's an oldie, though. Set in 1909. I have chosen Windsor, Nova Scotia to be my setting.

My process?

When I wrote my first script, I saw a french actor as the lead character: Mr Philippe Bas, who I'd seen in L'Empire des Loups at the cinema just before writing.
I was in pre-production, a nobody, but I wanted this french star and damn it, I was going to get him in my film!

I happened to be getting headshots done by Beatrice Cruveiller the day after finishing the script.  I was looking through her portfolio awaiting my turn and BOOM there was Philippe Bas. My heart started thumping, this was my chance to be bold.
Inbetween shots I tried over and over to get on to the topic of me being a filmmaker. No dice. Then all of a sudden during a click I blurted out "Do you know Philippe Bas? Because I wrote a film for him."

Silence.

She went on to tell me that he was an amazing actor and a friend and that she would talk to him...butterflies.

Next day my phone rings, guess who? Philippe Bas.
I held it together. I set up a meeting at a cafe across from where I lived in Paris, but once the call ended I screamed with joy and jumped around with Liana my roommate.

Blvd Picpus, Mr Philippe Bas sits with me. He arrives on a motorbike, James Dean - Brando?
I pitch the script. He wants to know about me, he's nice, he's very handsome too which doesn't hurt, right? Oh my, he just said yes.
For free? "Yes." The crew are students and students that have just graduated Philippe, is that ok? "Yes."

I managed to get a famous french actor in my film for nothing. And bonus, Beatrice's daughter is perfect to play his daughter, Bea would Jeanne like to be in my film?  "OUI!"

When I write I hear music too, I heard Rami Khalife's 'Scenes from Hellek'. I was bold and he said "yes!"

Film shot. Prizes won. Festivals galore. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

I now write my feature, my heart is thumping again because I see my DREAM actors when I write.
It's a mix of established and up & comers, mostly Canadian actors and a couple Americans.

I put up a photo of them on my computer screen on day 1 to inspire me and now am putting it on my blog:
I am writing for you amazing actors, I see and hear you. I may not be lucky enough to work with you but right now you are inspiring the characters.

I hope to be lucky with my newest scribble.

Guess who they are...

No comments:

Post a Comment