Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lost in translation

I have started teaching & coaching again and I am over-the-moon. The actors in the studio inspire me & move me.

I have found that what I hold dear (a technique that I learnt under the mentorship of Amy Werba, an actor who worked directly with Lee Strasberg and Shelley Winters on a scholarship at the actor's studio) is being lost in translation.   I have found myself righting the wrongs that have occurred elsewhere, places churning out confused and hurt actors. Be careful of your heart, actors.

Is there any way to get back to the root of this teaching with the main man no longer here?...Is this lost-in-translation-new technique hurting actors? Making them confused, absolutely. Hurting...just ask them.

I employ classical and Stanislavski exercises in my class too but I would say that Strasberg method runs deep in my work. I am a second generation Strasberg teacher and when I teach Strasberg exercises I make sure that it is clear the WHY the exercises were devised and WHY actors are doing them and WHERE they come from.   I, especially, do not take credit for them. Strasberg exercises aren't magic! It is acting work 'tis all.

Question: Why do actor's no longer read?

No matter what technique you adhere to make sure you do your homework, see if it is a right fit for you. Try everything, find what works for you. I enjoy actors who can have an open mind. An actor's tool box should be full and full with many different tools.

I continue to love doing the job I do, I am constantly changing with the time but when I teach old exercises I do not adapt them, I do not steal, I give credit where it is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment